Father Browne's Camera?

Father Browne's Camera?

Postby Jack White on Sun May 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I thought it would be so easy to find information on the model camera used by Father Frank Browne to take his famous photos aboard Titanic. Not so easy! While I have read numerous books, articles and searched the net for this seeminly simple question, I have yet to find a definitive answer. The general concensus seems to be that it was a Kodak and was given to Fr. Browne sometime between 1897 and 1912 by his uncle Bishop Robert Browne. It is possible that Bishop Browne may have given his nephew more than one camera over this period of time. I have viewed and photographed the camera on display at the Titanic Museum in Branson but, upon close examination, it appears to me that this is an Autographic model which was not sold prior to 1915. I found a photo of on-line which was from a television interview with Fr. Browne's great-nephew, John Martin, who resides in Hawkshurst, Kent, England. The interview was broadcast only in the UK and is not available on-line outside the UK. In the photo, Mr. Martin is hold a camera which, according to the caption, he states is the camera used by Fr. Browne for his Titanic photos. I have attempted to contact Mr. Martin through the television station but have so far been unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any information on the camera used by Fr. Browne which would bring my fuzzy picture into focus? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Jack White

Re: Father Browne's Camera?

Postby Jack White on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 pm

The results of my further research regarding the identity of Father Browne's camera can be read in my article in the Titanic Commutator, Volume 37, Number 200. I am still hopeful of receiving any comments, critiques, opinions or additional information.
Jack White

Return to Everything Else