The Good Years (1900-1914)

The Good Years (1900-1914)

Postby Robert Gibbons on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Walter Lord wrote "The Good Years" about the period of time from the turn of the century until World War I. Here is a summary of the events for those years. Robert H. Gibbons

THE GOOD YEARS (1900-1914)

Boxer Rebellion in China
Italy's King Assassinated
Kodak Introduces $1 Brownie Cameras
Max Planck Formulates Quantum Theory
Sigmund Freud Publishes The Interpretation of Dreams

Australia Becomes a Commonwealth
First Nobel Prizes Awarded
First Trans-Atlantic Radio Signal
Queen Victoria Dies
U.S. President McKinley Assassinated

Boer War Ends
Mount Pelée Erupts
The Teddy Bear is Introduced
U.S. Passes the Chinese Exclusion Act

First Flight at Kitty Hawk
First License Plates Issued in the U.S.
First Message to Travel Around the World
First Silent Movie, The Great Train Robbery
First World Series
Plague in India

First Popular American Film
Ground Broken on Panama Canal
New York City Subway Opens
Russo-Japanese War Begins
Trans-Siberian Railway Completed

Bloody Sunday" - Russian Revolution of 1905
Einstein Proposes His Theory of Relativity
Freud Publishes His Theory of Sexuality

The Dreadnought Launched
Finland First European Country to Give Women the Right to Vote
Kellogg's Starts Selling Corn Flakes
President Roosevelt Simplifies Spelling
San Francisco Earthquake
Upton Sinclair Writes The Jungle

Ten Rules of War Established at the Second Hague Peace Conference
First Electric Washing Machine
Picasso Introduces Cubism
Typhoid Mary Captured for the First Time

Earthquake in Italy Kills 150,000
Ford Introduces the Model-T
SOS Accepted as Universal Distress Signal
Three Year-Old Pu Yi Becomes Emperor of China
The Tunguska Event: Huge and Mysterious Explosion in Siberia
Turks Revolt in the Ottoman Empire

Japan's Prince Ito is Assassinated
NAACP Is Founded
Plastic Is Invented
Robert Peary Becomes the First to Reach the North Pole

Boy Scouts Established in U.S.
Halley's Comet Makes an Appearance
The Tango Catches On

The Chinese Revolution
Ernest Rutherford Discovers the Structure of an Atom
The Incan City of Machu Picchu Discovered
Mona Lisa Is Stolen
Roald Amundsen Reaches the South Pole
Standard Oil Company Broken Up
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Catches on Fire

Oreo Cookies First Introduced
Parachutes Invented
Piltdown Man, the "Missing Link," Discovered (Fraud)
The Titanic Sinks

First Crossword Puzzle
Henry Ford Creates Assembly Line
Los Angeles Owens Valley Aquaduct Opened
Personal Income Tax Introduced in U.S.

Archduke Ferdinand Assassinated
Battle of the Marne
Charlie Chaplin First Appeared as the Little Tramp
First Traffic Light
Panama Canal Officially Opened
World War I Begins
Robert Gibbons

Re: The Good Years (1900-1914)

Postby Joshua Noble on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 am

Mark Twain called that Edwardian Age, the "Gilded Age". Oh, and you're missing some things in 1912, like the Olympics in Sweden, Woodrow Wilson winning vs. Taft, the Emperor of Japan death, Clara Barton death, Arizona becomes a state, there's a whole bunch of things.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Postby Erin Hopkins on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:33 pm

My great-grandmothers would often referr to that time period also as the good years. When I was young and asked why they would tell me to go look up World War One and the horrors seen.

It really must've been a quite a time to have been alive both good and bad.
Erin Hopkins

Postby Joshua Noble on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Oh I know it. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather was a successful painter and storekeeper, even in a small town in Ohio. Also, that was the prime time for new innovations. For instance, as mentioned before, the Telephone, or the Automobile, and things like that. The world was revolutionized that gave way to these glory years, which unfortunately turned into these hard times right now. I wish I was living in the Gilded Age/Glory Years. :idea:
Joshua Noble

Postby Allie Bullock on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:34 pm

The Good Years must've been a fascinating time to be alive, working. My grandfather (old enough to be my great grandfather) was a reporter like I am today. But, think of the endless stories he was covering for England. It must've been like TMZ for CNN. But, can you imagine flying for the first time, and driving cars, hugging that first teddy bear, and just plain discovering new very great things every day? Nowadays, it's just a rehashing of yesteryear. And it's all about convenience and connectivity.
Allie Bullock

Postby Robert Gibbons on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 am

My maternal grandmother Nettie Knoll was from Germany and came to the U.S. on a White Star liner. She couldn't remember the name of the ship, but remembered her mother told her to say "Nach Muenchen" when asked where she came from when they went through Ellis Island. She and her family were brought over to the U.S. as domestic servants and ended up in Salt Lake City, Utah where she cooked for the President of the United States , Theodore Roosevelt, who was visiting her employer. Roosevelt left each of the domestic staff a five dollar gold piece under the plates. She married my grandfather Robert T. Hardy in Tonopah, Nevada, who was a claims agent for various railroads during his career. She survived the Galveston Flood by living in an upper floor of the Frisco Building, leaving through a window by boat. My grandmother lived until 1966. One time she mused over her life, talking about seeing aviation from the first flight of the Wright brothers in 1903 until the orbital space flight of John Glenn in 1962. She talked about motor cars, radio, and eventually television. She got to experience "The Good Years". Robert H. Gibbons
Robert Gibbons

Postby Erin Hopkins on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:01 am

My great-great grandfather was a photographer who was in San Francisco when the earthquake hit. He was on a business trip and in a hotel when it happened. He took a whole slew of photos of the aftermath and got them published in the paper where he lived. One of his most popular ones was of a man standing in front of a half demolished building.

I don't know if the photos have been published else where but we have the original negatives. It's too bad they cost a small fortune to get printed now. :?
Erin Hopkins

Postby Joshua Noble on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:42 pm

My great-great grandfather was a photographer who was in San Francisco when the earthquake hit. He was on a business trip and in a hotel when it happened. He took a whole slew of photos of the aftermath and got them published in the paper where he lived. One of his most popular ones was of a man standing in front of a half demolished building.

I don't know if the photos have been published else where but we have the original negatives. It's too bad they cost a small fortune to get printed now. :?

Was your great-great-grandfather in the Palace Hotel?
Joshua Noble

Postby Erin Hopkins on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 am

Joshua Noble wrote:Was your great-great-grandfather in the Palace Hotel?

I believe he was. I'll have to double check with my grandmother next time I see her as she has his journal.
Erin Hopkins

Postby Joshua Noble on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

I praise the Lord that we still have men and women alive to tell us, the next generations what it was like during Gilded Age. That way, we'll be able to pass these accounts to our children and grandchildren after that generation is gone.
Joshua Noble

Postby Aly Jones on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 am

First Flight at Kitty Hawk

The American wright Brothers in 1901,built & flew the first aircraft for a few seconds off the ground.

My maternal grandmother Nettie Knoll was from Germany and came to the U.S. on a White Star liner.

Did this happend often,germans travelling on british ships too migrant,while germany had there own shipping lines? How come germans never travelled on german ships? & did British migrants chosse to sail on german ships?
Aly Jones

Postby Timothy Trower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 am

Just because I'm lazy and/or my proper reference books are still packed away, here is a link showing the actual date that the Wright Brothers first took manned flight.

http://wrightbrothers.info/biography

Please, if you are going to post something as fact, or correct something else that someone has posted as fact, be sure that you are correct.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Aly Jones on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

My apolitgies,Tim!yep,I was wrong, I was all mucked up,you see,lol. :oops:
In 1901,wright brothers flew in a glider,1903,it was there first motor power aircraft that flew.
Aly Jones

Postby Kirk Groeneveld on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Erin Hopkins wrote:My great-great grandfather was a photographer who was in San Francisco when the earthquake hit. He was on a business trip and in a hotel when it happened. He took a whole slew of photos of the aftermath and got them published in the paper where he lived. One of his most popular ones was of a man standing in front of a half demolished building.

Can't you get them converted to digital, paying once for the expense of the best photos... or offer them to a museum to split the cost for the use of the photos... perhaps even in an exhibition? I'd love to see those photos... especially if he knew what he was doing...
"What else am I going to do with all this useless trivial information stored in my head?" -- Mark Evanier, TV writer and comic book creator (circa 1996)
Kirk Groeneveld

Return to The Good Years