Last person out

Last person out

Postby Genevieve Laursey on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello,
A silly couple of questions, but these are the ones that keep me up at night (its nearly midnight here in England).

I remember reading in one Titanic book that just before the end, one steward told the denizens of his room that all drinks were on the house. Is this true? I think it might have been in Craig's "Titanic End of a Dream" but I don't have that anymore as it was a library book. If it is true, are there any more details such as room, who said it or heard it and so on?

The other thing are the 1st class rooms on A deck - mainly the reading/writing, smoking and lounge. What is the last account of these rooms being used> Thanks to George Behe, who directed me in a previous thread to Shan Bullock's book, I've read the account of Thomas Andrews in the smoking room; are there any accounts of the room being used before this? I'd also got a hold of Jack Thayer's 1940 account where he says the lounge was the base of the musicians about 12.15.

I think the thing that interests me is that once the boats start going off, the informaiton as to what was going on inside the ship dries to a near trickle. I know of the stewards accounts but I am interested in those people who chose to stay inside, help themselves to the bar, have one last game of cards and so on ;)

Regards

Gen x
Last edited by Timothy Trower on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to a folder better fitting the topic
Genevieve Laursey

Re: Last person out

Postby Genevieve Laursey on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:22 am

A friend on the board emailed me to let me know that it was indeed Wade's book that said all licquor was on the house, but he gives no source for this. Talking of booze, I just found out that Paddy Dillon had three shots of whiskey before the ship went down and he obviously doesn't mention this in London at the inquiry. Did he say this is a newspaper interview or is it just make believe?
Genevieve Laursey

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 am

Genevieve Laursey wrote:Hello,
I think the thing that interests me is that once the boats start going off, the informaiton as to what was going on inside the ship dries to a near trickle. I know of the stewards accounts but I am interested in those people who chose to stay inside, help themselves to the bar, have one last game of cards and so on ;)

Regards

Gen x

Unfortunately all those who chose to remain with the vessel died which makes providing first hand accounts of their experience rather difficult, as for a free bar....well who is going to check who drank what or paid for it? If you probably realised you would very soon be dead why not help yourself?...you are hardly going to be brought to account or presented with a bill. :D
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Joshua Noble on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:08 am

I know that William T. Stead was last seen in the smoking room, and I believe Archibald Butt was last seen there as well. The gymnasium and lounge was used at first for the 1st class passengers at first due to the cold while waiting for boats to be readied to be lowered. J.J. Astor showed his wife the inside of lifejackets by cutting them open with his knife in the gymnasium while W.T. McCawley was encouraging the passengers in some way. I believe, however, that the Grand Staircase was the A deck public space we have the most accounts.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Postby Joshua Noble on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:11 am

I know that William T. Stead was last seen in the smoking room, and I believe Archibald Butt was last seen there as well. The gymnasium and lounge was used at first for the 1st class passengers at first due to the cold while waiting for boats to be readied to be lowered. J.J. Astor showed his wife the inside of lifejackets by cutting them open with his knife in the gymnasium while W.T. McCawley was encouraging the passengers in some way. I believe, however, that the Grand Staircase was the A deck public space we have the most accounts.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Postby Bill Wormstedt on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

If I remember correctly, it was Thomas Dillon's account that mentioned "All drinks on the house". I don't have the account handy, but I was discussing this with Tad Fitch and Kent Layton just some days ago.

Bill
Bill
Bill Wormstedt

Postby Stijn Bammens on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am

I've been searching a long time for Thomas Dillon's account.

Have you had any luck finding it yet, Mr. Wormstedt?

Kind regards
Stijn
Stijn Bammens

Return to Life on Board