Daily Mirror Newspapers of the Titanic

Daily Mirror Newspapers of the Titanic

Postby Mark Greenlees on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:30 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found six "Daily Mirror" newspapers from 1912 headlining the sinking tragedy of Titanic. I came accross them while clearing out my Aunty's house in South Wales U.K. She died a year or so ago and I found them while clearing her house out for my father. I live in the U.S. but grew up in the England (Liverpool area). My Aunty grew up near Liverpool also. My Dad surmises they were given to her by my Grandmother as my Aunty did tend to collect many interesting (and not so) things.

The dates on papers are consecutive days starting Tuesday April 16. 1912 to April 22. 1912. All six papers consist of eight total pages and each include all the usual advertisements and cartoons etc. and are in good condition. I read one of the earlier forum mesaages about authenticity and need to check out the type with a magnifying glass. If they do turn out to be origionals, would they be of interst to collectors or are they quite common to come accross?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Greenlees

Re: Daily Mirror Newspapers of the Titanic

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Mark,

My surmise would normally follow that since these are consecutively dated and found in the same collection, that they are all originals. But -- the original April 16 edition has sixteen pages, not eight. And that's where I'd really question all of them.

If you are ever in southwest Missouri, or if you are attending the opening of Titanic Tennessee in April, I'd be glad to take a look at them for you.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Mark Greenlees on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Tim - Interesting! So where were you able to view this newspaper - is it on line?

Cheers
Mark
Mark Greenlees

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Mark,

Part of my expertise with the Titanic is the field of fraud and authentication. As both a letterpress printer and a Titanic historian, I've learned a great deal about all aspects of printed materials dealing with the ship, and am part of a larger group that targets fraud on eBay and other auction sites.

As far as I know, this paper is not on line, but those who I know and trust have examined authentic copies and have passed that knowledge along to me.

Here is the odd part of your paper -- as far as I know, only the April 16 edition was reprinted (in both an 8 page and a 16 page copy). Look at your copies closely. Do they all resemble each other, clear down to the color and thickness of the paper? Do they all have a uniform smell and feel? Using a loupe, can you see where the type is impressed into the paper (and in some cases, can you see the type from the previous page pushing through? -- this is most noticeable on the backs of photos and the edges of the type form)?

You may have an oddball edition that is unrecorded or unremembered. Major metropolitan newspapers could have as many as three to five different editions of the same day's paper, although typically they did not add or drop entire sections or signatures.

But if this is printed letterpress (type pushed into the page) you've a much better chance of having the real thing than if it were printed via offset lithography (where the image lays on top of the page).
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Mark Greenlees on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Tim ,
Whoa, you do know your stuff! I surmise then that they must be copies. Another thing I read also though, was that the copies only had the date and not the day printed - mine do have the day? However, the biggest thing that stands out to me that they may not be the real thing is that along with the set of papers I found, there was also a Daily Mirror (8 page) depciting VE- Day and the condition is very much the same as the others. Anyway, thanks again for your expertise!

Cheers
Mark
Mark Greenlees

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Mark,

Newspapers are odd ducks. I've read accounts of urban archeologists digging into landfills from the early part of the Twentieth Century finding stacks of newspapers that were in excellent shape, save for the edges. Likewise, look at the success with restoring newsprint brought up from the Titanic -- as a general rule, newsprint, made of the cheapest pulpwood, has a very short life, especially soaking wet.

But then, newsprint if taken care of properly, can last for at least 160 years -- it was invented in 1838, and examples of early newsprint still exist. Because of its cheapness, it rapidly replaced rag content paper (which, because of its durability, will last with ease for centuries) for newspapers. Leave the stuff out in the sun for a couple of weeks and see how brittle the top sheet can become. Leave a stack in a paper bag for a couple of months and watch how the folded edges start to flake and easily break where they have been in contact with the kraft paper of the bag. But lay a newspaper flat, encased in a non-acidic wrapping, and it will deteriorate much slower. Keep it away from air and moisture, and although it will become brittle (eventually) this will happen at a much slower pace than if that same paper were just left on top of a bookcase.

Can a 1912 paper and a 1945 paper age to look the same? Sure can. Am I saying that is what has happened here? Perhaps -- but again, I hate making long-distance judgments. But if your aunt and her family took reasonable care of these papers (assuming they are authentic) then thirty years wouldn't make much difference in their condition.

I've collected newspapers since 1978, and those early editions (printed on a Goss Headliner II cylinder letterpress), kept boxed since then, look pretty much the same as the 2004 newspapers (printed offset) that I collected after the November elections that year. I've pretty much given up adding much to that collection as of late.

Again, I don't want to get your hopes up -- and if your copies have the date and the day, it's much less likely they are copies -- but if you can get past the eight page/sixteen page difference in the real versus the reprints, then you may have a really decent find on your hands that many Titanic collectors would treasure.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Karen Kamuda on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Not being able to see the papers or feel them its hard to make a judgment. However there have been loads of copies made of the Titanic disaster and other famous headlines. The Daily Mirror (UK) is one of the tabloids that has been reprinted.

When we put the last "Newspaper Issue" of the Commutator together about 15 years ago (1 of 3 issues devoted to newspaper headlines), Ed's files of old newspapers had a lot of new copies too. It seems many newspapers like to print Special Editions of famous events and the Titanic disaster often was included.

Karen
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” ~~ P. J. O’Rourke
Karen Kamuda

Postby Mary Burnham on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I also have found 5 old newspapers , does anyone know if there are any easy ways to tell a reprint from an original? ie......printing errors or marks etc.
Mary Burnham

Postby Timothy Trower on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Mary,

It really depends on the issue and date. Can you give the names of the papers as well as the dates?
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Mary Burnham on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 am

They are all 'The Daily Mirror',
Tuesday, April 16 1912.......This is only one with a day and a date. it is 8 pages long. No 2,645
April 17, 1912. No 2,646
April 18, 1912. No 2647
April 19,1912. No 2,648
April 22, 1912. No 2,650
Mary Burnham

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 am

Mary,

More than likely you have found a run of this newspaper, and if so, I congratulate you. I am not aware of any reprinting of this grouping of dates; although very hesitant to pronounce something legitimate without being able to see it and examine it personally, it would sound as if you've found a nice little treasure.

Newsprint is made from very cheap pulp wood, and isn't designed to have a long life at all. I would suggest that each newspaper be laid flat, put into a protective covering of 100% cotton, and stored in a temperature and humidity-controlled environment. Even though they've probably been stored in a box for a century, don't pile them one on the other -- to do so only hastens their demise. What ever you do, don't frame them and hang them in a room with any sort of unprotected light source -- fluorescent bulbs and natural sunlight are killers of this sort of paper.

Resist the urge to touch the papers, or to leaf through them. Instead, if you must read through them, use a pair of white cotton gloves, handle them very, very carefully -- that newsprint is horribly fragile -- and photograph them without a flash so that you have a copy that you can study at will.

Again, I can't say unless I saw them in person, but it does sound as if you've got a nice collection of real editions.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Mary Burnham on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 am

Thank you,
My gut feeling is/was they are copies.
They are extreamly interesting which ever they are.
Because I thought they were fakes I was going to frame them but now think its best I dont. But it does seem sad that such interesting things remain under wraps.
Do you know of any way I can get thier authentisity verifyed?
I live in Suffolk, England but would gladly send them to be checked.

Mary
Mary Burnham

Postby Tom McCluskie on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 am

I would suggest you contact Mirror Newspapers Group in London who I am sure would be able to verify your newspapers authenticity. Who better than to ask the publisher and printer?
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Mary Burnham on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:07 am

I have contacted the daily mirror today, I'll post any reply I recieve......watch this space! lol
Mary Burnham

Postby brett reynolds on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 am

Hi there.

I can see this post is old but i to have the 16th,17th,18th,19th,20th and 22nd editions of the daily mirror and wondered how you got on witrh yours?

Brett
brett reynolds

Postby Timothy Trower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Brett,

That you have a run of the newspaper over several dates strongly suggests that your copies are originals; I am not aware of the later dates having been reprinted.

Check them to see if they have been printed via letterpress -- that's the best first place to start.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby brett reynolds on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi Tim.

how can i tell this? not very clued up with this kind of thing...

Brett
brett reynolds

Postby Timothy Trower on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:44 am

Brett,

As I've posted above and elsewhere, look at your copies closely. Do they all resemble each other, clear down to the color and thickness of the paper? Do they all have a uniform smell and feel? Using a loupe, can you see where the type is impressed into the paper (and in some cases, can you see the type from the previous page pushing through? -- this is most noticeable on the backs of photos and the edges of the type form)? These are the easiest indicators that you have original newspapers.

Tim
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Return to Authentication and Fraud