My 144 scratch build Titanic model progress

My 144 scratch build Titanic model progress

Postby Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm

HI folks,here progress pics of my 144 titanic model that i'm building from scratch made from the original plans as used on Olympic and Titanic.

First I took a hull and marked on it the frame stations in exact scale,example: 70 frwd,80 frwd etc , think of it as grafting ahull,the frame stations were drawn on in exact scale at 144th scale compared to life size.On Titanic and Olypic the frame stations for example from 70 frwd to 80 frwd was 30 ft with 3ft(36 inches) between each frame(10 frames between 70 frwd and 80 frwd) however on the front of the ship and the aft the frame spacings were smaller going from 36 inches,33,30,27 and 24 inches changing at certain frame stations-enough of this technical talk-LOLI. spend 3 years studying the original plans so as to make my model exact in scale to the plans.here'a a pics of the hull reshaped to the lines plans,comparing it to the builder's model
Kevin Randall

Re: My 144 scratch build Titanic model progress

Postby Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:07 pm

After reshaping the hull to the original lines plan frame stations hull curvatures,I painted the hull with the black and anti fouling color to see what it would look like here's afew pics:
Kevin Randall

Postby Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi Folks more stuff here,On the original plans that were used to build Olympic and Titanic a few historian's have said that the original plans aren't of very good use for modelers of which I agree and are not for the meek,I spend 2 years studying them and the problem with them being made on lenon closth is that they had stretched in places due to being handled over the the decades so it was some serious studying to first figure out what meant what then looking at and correcting where on the plans lines were stretched.

As some have noticed it's hard to align the framing plan and lines plan in CAD which is near impossible as in certain sections things don't align up especially at some spots around the stern area so what I did was used what information was on the plans and psychically drew the plating onto the hull after reshaping it-it all aligns up,I figured might as well do it like it was done in 1912-called a pencil and ruler-hehehehe,the kids see what i'm doing and are like why don't you use a calculator and i laugh and said the calculator is in me head-LOL. :lol:

Here's the bow section of the framing plan showing where the plate levels are:
Last edited by Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Randall

Postby Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi Folks,here's some more. After painstakingly drawing the plates onto the hull next up is drilling out the portholes after having studied pics of titanic and seeing how the porthole placements were changed while Titanic was being build that's different to the shell plating plan,Titanic and Olympic had like 8-9 different sizes of portholes. here's a few pics of the Starboard side:
and here's pics of the portside:
Kevin Randall

Postby Kevin Randall on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Here's some pics of the aft area:
Now the rest of the portholes have to be drilled out from the side of the hull from about the aft well deck back and next the pencil lines and dirt will be removed and outlined with a black pen and then traces will be made for all the plates.

Next will be the plating in which each plate will be put onto the hull from the back forwards as done on
Titanic,here's is a sample mockup of a plate:
the finished plated will be much better and also will have the portholes on them where needed and the portholes all will have glass behind the plating.

On the plates it will either be brass or aluminum plates which will be glued onto the hull which is fiberglass epoxy, any advice on what glue to attach the metal to the hull is welcome,it's all going to be metal even the upper decks.Thanks,Regards,Kevin
Kevin Randall

Return to Models