Stained Glass

Stained Glass

Postby Jeremy Jackman on Sun May 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Has anyone any information about the individuals who painted the stained glass for Titanic?
Jeremy Jackman

Re: Stained Glass

Postby Tom McCluskie on Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 am

Stained glass isn't painted the pigment is added to the glass during the manufacturing process. Perhaps you are referring to the individuals who constructed the stained glass windows and dome. These were supplied to Harland and Wolff by various sub contractors however I very much doubt if the actual names of the individuals could be discovered.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Jeremy Jackman on Sat May 25, 2013 5:46 am

I am afraid that your assertion that Stained Glass is not ever painted is incorrect. The main parts of windows are stained with a background colour, but detail is all hand painted. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stained_glass[/url] This means that intricate designs are possible. Most stained glass windows that have pictures on them are hand painted. After the painting is finished, each piece goes back into the kiln to harden. After the firing, it can be assembled.

The hand painting will be done by artists, in much the same way as pottery is painted.

It shouild be possible to find out from the records of the manufacturer, who the employees were that did the painting.
Jeremy Jackman

Postby Tom McCluskie on Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Sorry if I appear pedantic but stained glass is never painted the colour is produced by adding pigment during the manufacturing process however like any glass it may be painted upon. Your question was who painted the stained glass NOT who painted the image on the stained glass. :roll:

The original dome itself was of wrought iron construction incorporating self coloured slumped glass panels with a much smaller and ornate centre piece atop the dome itself.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Timothy Trower on Sat May 25, 2013 6:44 pm

And sorry to appear hawkish on this one point, but Wikipedia should never be used as a source. Refer to it if you must, but follow the links at the bottom of the page to online or print resources which should only be used as your source.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Michael H Standart on Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm

It shouild be possible to find out from the records of the manufacturer, who the employees were that did the painting
From over a century ago? Don't get your hopes up. Even if employers kept records that detailed...which they don't always do even today...after a century, they've most likely gone to the shredder, furnace, or landfill.
Michael H Standart

Return to Titanic