Candee's account versus Gracie's

Candee's account versus Gracie's

Postby Stijn Bammens on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:48 pm

I can't get over the fact that Mrs. Helen Churchill Candee's Sealed Orders and Colonel Gracie's The Truth About the Titanic seem to contradict each other at every turn.

Just an example:

According to Mrs. Candee, on Sunday evening, after dinner, the seven members of "our coterie" (Candee, Gracie, Smith, Woolner, Björnström-Steffansson, Kent and Colley) adjourned to the reception room where they enjoyed coffee as they listened to the Titanic's band. Then, as many people drifted off to their cabins, "our coterie" moved on to the Ritz restaurant [à la carte] for a hot drink. Helen eventually retired to her stateroom at around 11:00 p.m., as the men strolled on to the smoking room.

In The Truth About the Titanic, however, Gracie clearly states: "From the palm room [reception room], the men of my coterie would always go to the smoking room..." He then goes on to say that, on this particular evening, he retired early, probably between 9 and 9:30 p.m., some 15 minutes after the end of the concert. Mrs. Candee clearly states that all six men were with her in the à la carte, gossiping about the Widener party. How could the men of "our coterie" have been in the à la carte restaurant and in the smoking room (and in bed) at the same time? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?
Stijn Bammens

Return to Titanic